From the Journal of the Atlanta Campaign, kept at headquarters of the Fourth Army Corps, by Lieutenant Colonel Joseph S. Fullerton, Assistant Adjutant General.

July 9.- 2 a. m., received instructions from department headquarters to move the division to Roswell Factory at daylight, and to move without wagons. 2 a. m., directed General Newton to move his division to Roswell Factory at daylight (4.30) this morning, for the purpose of supporting General Garrard, and “making sure of anything that may be gained by him,” to take one battery, but no wagons; McPherson’s troops to relieve this division as soon as they arrive at the Factory. 4 a. m., received note from department headquarters stating that it is General Sherman’s opinion that inasmuch as General McPherson (?) has made a lodgment that Johnston will be forced in strategy to attack us or General McPherson, or withdraw. It is therefore directed that we take advantage of the situation by feeling the enemy’s skirmishers at daylight, if we have any in our front not across the river, &c. It is now about daylight, but General Wood has just been instructed to keep up his picket-firing across the river, the only place that the enemy is in range. 5 a. m., received note from General Newton inquiring whether he was to cross the river with General Garrard or remain at the Factory, or if he crossed was he to go with Garrard, or merely see him safe on his way. At once replied:
“Cross, if necessary to support General Garrard if he crosses, and the enemy does not retreat from or leave his front. Do whatever is best to give him assistance and enable him to hold any position he may gain.”
8 a. m., directed General Stanley that as General Newton’s division has moved, he will picket the road well to his left, especially the one leading over Rottenwood Creek, and establish a post at the bridge at said crossing. 9 a. m., sent a note to General Newton, on the march directing him to construct a bridge-head on the other side of the river, provided he gets across, as soon as General Garrard gives him space to do so. 11 a. m., the enemy again opened upon us the enemy may be making a reconnaissance to discover our weak point; to keep a strict watch, and if you (Stanley) think he is doing so, to push a regiment of infantry to Powers’ Ferry and bring it back this evening (not near enough to be exposed to artillery fire). 8 p. m., Captain Kirlin arrived from General Newton, and stated that he arrived at Roswell Ferry, and crossed over the river with two brigades at 2 p. m.; that General Garrard crossed at 6 a. m.; meeting with but little opposition.