Numbers 409.
Reports of Colonel Abram O. Miller, Seventy-second Indiana Mounted Infantry, commanding Third Brigade, of operations June 9-August 24.

Roswell, Ga., July 13, 1864.
CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the brigade under my command in the operations of the division on the 9th of June, near Big Shanty:
Colonel Wilder being unwell, I was called to the command of the brigade, and at 7 a. m. the command marched from its position near Acworth, on the road leading to Marietta via Big Shanty, following the First Brigade, Colonel Minty, which had moved at 6 o’clock. Arriving at a point about one mile north of Big Shanty, I was ordered to dismount my entire force and throw it forward on foot, Colonel Minty having developed the enemy. Moving forward by the flank a short distance to an open field, on the opposite side of which were the enemy’s skirmishers, I deployed the Seventeenth Indiana Volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Jordan, and Ninety-eighth Illinois Volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Kitchell, on the right, and the One hundred and twenty-third Illinois Volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Biggs, on the left of the road, holding the Seventy-second Indiana Volunteers, Major Carr, as a reserve and support for the section of artillery of Lieutenant Bennett. This disposition made, I immediately moved forward, driving the enemy’s skirmishers back through a skirt of timber to his main line, which was formed in open ground, and was protected by a heavy barricade of logs and rails. Halting my line under cover of the skirt of timber, to ascertain if my flanks were well protected, I found that it was necessary to prolong my line to the right, and, accordingly, I ordered up the Seventy-second Indiana into line on the right of the Seventeenth Indiana, and, as soon as it was into position, ordered the whole line forward and carried the enemy’s line of works, he falling back to another similar line 400 yards in rear of the first. Following him up, under a galling fire, I succeeded in driving him from this line also, from which he fell back to a third line of works, on the opposite side of the railroad. Here the artillery was brought into requisition, and, after shelling the enemy vigorously for twenty or thirty minutes, I again ordered my line forward, my skirmishers having gained the railroad crossing. Again the enemy was driven from his works, and retired slowly to his fourth line, 200 yards in rear of the third. Here he made a still more determined stand than at either of his former positions, but I at once ordered a charge, and the line responding promptly, carried the works, while the enemy fled precipitately, leaving his dead and wounded in my hands, and retired within his intrenchments at the base of Kenesaw Mountain.
The object of the expedition having been accomplished, I was ordered to collect my wounded and fall back, which was done in good order, and without further loss the command returned to camp.
In these successive assaults upon the enemy my brigade was handsomely supported by that of Colonel Minty, which was disposed upon my flanks.
The following is the list of casualties: Wounded, Seventeenth Indiana Mounted Infantry, 3 enlisted men; Seventy-second Indiana Mounted Infantry, 4 enlisted men; Ninety-eighth Illinois Mounted Infantry, 2 enlisted men; One hundred and twenty-third Illinois Mounted Infantry, 4 enlisted men; total wounded, 13.
I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Colonel, Commanding Brigade.
Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Cavalry Division.